Sid Meier’s Civilization 6 Game Review

Back to Article
Back to Article

Sid Meier’s Civilization 6 Game Review

Dylan Collins, Writer

Sid Meier’s Civilization Six is the newest installment in the Civilization franchise. The game was released on October 21, 2016. The wonderful music in the game was composed by Geoff Knorr. The game was developed by Firaxis Games and aspyr. The game is available on many platforms such as  Nintendo Switch, Microsoft Windows, iOS, Macintosh operating systems, and Linux. Sid Meier’s Civilization Six won the award for Best Strategy game in 2017. The game costs $60 but sometimes goes on sale.

If you are new to the Civilization franchise it can be very overwhelming at first. The game has so many different layers that it can be difficult to manage everything at once, but it’s this complexity that really makes this game so great. Everyone manages their empires differently, making for a very intricate and competitive gameplay.

One of the largest changes from the previous version of the game, Civ. 5, is the addition of districts. Instead of all the city improvements being centralized in the city center, there are districts that must be built to construct certain improvements. For example, the commercial district provides gold and great merchant points. An improvement here would be the bank or stock exchange-each district takes up one tile. The districts have certain adjacency bonuses. To take advantage of this, players must plan out there city strategically adding another element to the already complex game.

The game offers different multiplayer options: hot seat, local network, and online. Hot seat is played on the same device. It’s nice to have so many options but multiplayer does not work cross platform so there will be no mixing of IOS, Windows and mobile this time.

The game allows you to choose from most of the major countries in the world called “civs.” Each “civ” has its own set of perks and specialty units that may be helpful in winning a certain victory.

The victories on the standard game rules are the domination victory which is the most straightforward, the science victory which is easy but takes a long time to complete, the culture victory which is difficult and time consuming, and the religious victory which is the easiest in no one else is going for that victory.

This is one of my favorite games; it’s very fun to play especially with friends. It is pricey and definitely a very time consuming game: one round can last for hours, but in my opinion it’s time and money well spent.

• Sid Meier’s Civilization 6 Game Review

Reviews

The End of an Era: Avengers Endgame

Reviews

A Song of Ice and Fire

Reviews

New Game Captivates Thousands

Arts & Entertainment

Students Direct Original Show

Reviews

An Absolutely Remarkable Thing

• Arts & Entertainment

Taking Their Bows: Nipomo High School Theater Performs at ThesFest

• Opinion

Crystal Healing for the Mind and Body

• Arts & Entertainment

Fostering Creativity in the Classroom

• Arts & Entertainment

Born for Broadway: Joanna Jones

• Arts & Entertainment

Fostering Creativity in the Classroom

Sid Meier’s Civilization 6 Game Review