The Things We Can Do

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Things We Can Do

Alexis Perales, Writer

Now we all know who Mr. Hubbell is, but let’s take a second to talk about his son. Tyler Hubbell is the Assistant Director of Gravity Water and the Founder of the Gravity Water Youth Initiative. You know, it’s that thing that we do in second semester where the ASB class gives you a different drink everyday of the week if you to donate a dollar. This means you’ve probably heard of Gravity Water, but you don’t really know why we do it, and if you haven’t heard of Gravity Water, then you definitely don’t know why we do it.

Gravity Water is a permanent source of safe drinking water for children in need. It combines “rainwater harvesting, elevated storage, and gravity powered filtration to provide communities in developing countries with a localized source of safe drinking water that is self sustainable and 100% energy-free.” When it comes to situations like the ones Executive Director Danny Wright has stumbled upon, it makes someone realize how much we take water for granted. Yes, we may have water fountains that we refuse to use because they look disgusting, but it’s still access to free and clean water, which is something that a lot of kids don’t have.

Hubbell and Wright both realized the dire situation while they were visiting Nepal. They were approached by two children pleading for water, that’s when they decided to take the initiative to find a way to provide safe drinking water for these kids.

Currently, Gravity Water is the only organization working to provide a permanent source of water for kids in low income areas. We are changing the world, and it’s all happening in your backyard.

Does it sound like something you want to partake in? Well, you’re already halfway there. Nipomo High School has already fundraised enough to help build a Gravity Water system in Mila Dharmasthali in Nepal, where 400 students attend. “NHS sponsored a 10,000 rainwater catchment, storage, and filtration system to provide onsite access to clean drinking water to the school and surrounding community,” Hubbell said in an email.

Nipomo High’s ASB class is hoping to fundraise more this year during second semester. So when Gravity Water Week comes around, make sure you donate.

• Local Life

Caring About Our Planet

• The Things We Can Do

Arts & Entertainment

What Happened to the VPA Pathway?

• The Things We Can Do

Clubs & Classes

FFA National Convention

• News

Capturing Everest to capture an Emmy

• News

Years of work with a week of success

• News

Madrid Holland: Becoming a Titan

• The Things We Can Do

News

Anderson wins Earl Reum ASB Award

• News

Dark side in Washington

• The Things We Can Do

News

Nipomo High School Boys’ Golf win their first tournament of the year!

• The Things We Can Do

Arts & Entertainment

Poetry Out Loud Inspires

The Things We Can Do