Caring About Our Planet

Fabiola Vazquez, Writer

Even though it’s a common topic today, sometimes we try to avoid thinking of the impact that humanity is taking upon earth.
The thing is, we are actually killing our home and worst, ourselves.
At Nipomo High School, we have environmental consciousness and people who really cares about our planet.
One of the most important members is Mrs. Donna Kandel, who has been an environmental activist since she got involved in the creation and conservancy of Nipomo’s Native Garden with her family. She has also connected students of Nipomo High School with the Pismo Preserve Project. She used to lead a student Conservation Club which cleared hiking trails and several other activities like cleaning up the creeks.
Currently, she continues teaching math and spreading knowledge around our campus.
Kandel recommends us to be active in our community and invites us to participate in our local organizations such as the Land Conservancy of San Luis Obispo. “They sponsor hikes locally and it’s a really nice option for students to get involved in conservation activities,” she says.
She also thinks that government should be more involved in legislation to address climate change and that governor Brown has been a good example for California. It is certain that it’s going to take more than local efforts to improve the environmental condition.
Nowadays, it’s more important than ever in our personal lives to attend to recycling, conserve energy, choose fuel efficient cars, choose the food we buy, and take care of our environment because the consequences of climate change are expected to be worse in the future.
Kandel suggests that when students would be able to vote, they should consider pro-environment candidates because it’s an important part of their country.
What else can we do?
There are a lot of options to show respect for our world. Let’s begin by caring about our daily activities and realizing how much impact does it have. A small contribution by everyone, no matter how small, could make a big change at a global scale.
Here are a few tips:
  1. Reuse plastic bottles, paper, containers, boxes, or any other type of material that could be used a second, third or even a fourth time.
  2. Buy just what’s necessary: avoid making more trash.
  3. Collect rainwater for later use.
  4.  Avoid using your car when it’s not necessary. For covering short distances, you could use your bicycle instead or simply go walking; your body will get a benefit too.
  5. Reject plastic bags and straws.
  6. Take care about green areas.
  7. Don’t throw garbage on the streets. Be clean.
  8. Use alternative types of energy such as solar, or eolic.
  9. Avoid using aerosols.
  10.   Care about your water. Avoid wasting it.
We must remember that as human beings, we are here for and thanks to the planet and not the other way around.
“One of the first conditions of happiness is that the link between man and nature shall not be broken.”
—Leo Tolstoy
“You cannot get through a single day without having an impact on the world around you. What you do makes a difference and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make.”
—Jane Goodall
Caring About Our Planet