Sleep or Something?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Sleep or Something?

Dylan Collins, Writer

Most teens (60-70% of them) in high school are severely sleep deprived, according to an article by the Child Mind Institute. The side effects of sleep deprivation are detrimental to your physical and mental health.

Students stay up late all the time finishing last minute assignments, playing video games, or talking to a significant other. To make matters worse, they have to get up early every day to get to school on time. “I go to bed at like one o’clock and wake up at five every day,” explained Katie Padden, a student at Nipomo High School.

Students are so tired that it’s common to see students with their head down in class. Even if students are not entirely asleep, being tired still has an impact on a teen’s ability to learn. According to an article published by the National Sleep Foundation, the lack of sleep limits your ability to learn, listen, concentrate and solve problems. You may even forget important information like names, numbers, your homework or a date with a special.

Going awhile without hitting the hay may also contribute to the phone epidemic on high school campuses. Students are too tired to focus on school work, so they turn to the entertainment on their phones so they have something more stimulating to focus on.

Living without sleep can also be dangerous especially when operating a motor vehicle. Some students drive themselves, and others, to school every morning. If you do drive yourself or your student to school you know how hectic the traffic can be in the morning. “I’ve almost been hit several times on the way to school,” said Taylor Robertson student at Nipomo High School, so it’s no surprise that, according to a study by the National Sleep Foundation, drowsiness or fatigue is the principle cause of at least 100,000 traffic accidents each year.

Tiredness can also contribute to depression in teens an estimated 3.1 million adolescents aged 12 to 17 in the United States had at least one major depressive episode in 2016 according to an article by the Newport Academy.

The Lucia Mar Unified School District is aware of the sleep problem and have considered pushing back school start times. Unfortunately they were unable to do so as a result of logistics issues regarding bussing, so it is doubtful that we will see any change in our district for the foreseeable future.

Sleep or Something?