Depression and Mental Health

Kate Compton, Writer

Mental health is something that affects the life of everyone. Mental health is a level of psychological well-being or an absence of mental illness-the state of someone who is functioning at a satisfactory level of emotional and behavioral adjustment. This affects how we relate to others, cope with stress, and make choices and decisions.

Mental health is important from the time you are a small infant to when you are an adult. All of us need good mental health in order to feel good about ourselves and feel like we individually have a purpose. Feeling like you have a purpose leads to feeling like you have something to add to the world and those around you.

Mental health is an issue that’s sweeping across our nation and becoming widespread within our population. In order to help this growing issue is to help raise awareness of this vast issue. One way people fail to understand this issue is the misunderstanding between physical health and mental health. Individuals tend to put physical health before mental health.

One main mental illness that affects many children and adults is depression. Depression is extremely prevalent in our high schools today and we need to be making changes that can either eradicate this mental illness or take steps in order to helping individuals who suffer from this illness. Depression can be caused by many things including bullying, family issues, self esteem issues or even just stress. If you became depressed would you know who to run to? Would you know who would help? Would you feel comfortable telling an adult if you think your friend could potentially be depressed. This is a illness that should not be taken lightly especially with the youth. Youth don’t always know that they have places that will help them and that things will always get better. We should start focusing on educating the youth about how mental health affects all of us.

According to the International Board of Credentialing and Continuing Education Standards, depression affects more than 10 percent of teenagers, yet most educators are not prepared to help students deal with depression. They believe that training and information are the keys to treating depression.

Support needs to start in a school setting. Some of the ways you can heal and prevent depression is to develop a working and collaborative relationship with the student, and avoid negative techniques. another way to help is to make accommodations with that student. It’s not about lowering expectations or giving out grades that have not been fully earned its about breaking up assignments into small pieces. These are just some ways to help individuals with their mental health.

Lastly a plan of success is key. A plan of success. This is the plan of action and an end result or goal. We all go through things in life and if we were all better aware of the signs of depression we could make a strong impact in someone else’s life that needs a friend or someone to talk to.