Athlete of the Month: Maddy Witcher

Back to Article
Back to Article

Athlete of the Month: Maddy Witcher

Cameron Avila, Writer

Madelyn Witcher has been competing in Track and Field since elementary school. She also has been recognized as an outstanding thrower in Track. “I started throwing my sophomore year but did running events before throwing,” she said; “My coach was the one who really got me into it because he told me I’d be better at it than running.”

Witcher has a passion for lifting weights and has to be one of her favorite parts about Track and Field. “We get to be in the weight room and I love to lift weights, we get to be our own separated team and bond more together as throwers and the satisfaction of having a new person record because you’re by yourself and all your hard work just pays off and feels so good,” Madelyn shared. Witcher competed in League Finals and moved onto CIF Western Area Track meet for her shot push and discus.

“Maddy has put tons of work into be where she is at right now, she has a great attitude, always lifting and never gives up,” says her teammates.  Witcher is not letting her skills left behind at the school but, plans on taking them to the next level of competition at Cuesta College. “I’m really excited about graduating and going onto college, I can’t wait for track season and to see what I’m capable of at the collegiate level,” she said with enthusiasm.

Witcher is very energetic and caring towards her teammates and people around school. She plans to study pre-nursing at Cuesta and become a nurse.