Mrs. Cummings

Back to Article
Back to Article

Mrs. Cummings

Luis Avila and Julian Silva

Rosemary Cummings, who helped found the Nipomo High School FFA program, won multiple awards, including National Young Agricultural Teacher of the Year by the National Agricultural Teachers Association this year at the Regional State FFA Convention. She also received the Teacher of Excellence award given by the California Agricultural Teachers Association.

As a student at Arroyo Grande High School, Cummings saw many opportunities in joining FFA, and was inspired by her family to become involved in the agricultural organization.

Cummings is a very big supporter of the FFA organization, coaching multiple CDE teams. (CDE stands for Career Development Events.) At Nipomo High School, she coaches the FFA Creed recitation, Best Informed Greenhand and Prepared Speaking, and the Milk/Dairy Judging team.

“FFA is unlike sports and other extracurricular [activities] because you don’t necessarily need a special talent or skill to be in FFA. There aren’t any prerequisites to be a member of this great organization. You learn everything you need to be successful while a member” Cummings says. “FFA also provides students with many opportunities to succeed and helps them to discover their self worth.”

“Cummings is a fantastic leader who selflessly helps students,” Christine Ready said. She also explained how Cumming ends up sponsoring some events herself and pays off any debts that the Nipomo Chapter may be in.

Mark Doss, one of Cumming’s students, says “Mrs. Cummings is a big influence to all FFA members. Cummings always strives for success and cares for her students.” When asked how Cummings has influenced him, he had this to say; “Cummings has helped me with all of my CDE competitions and always pushes me to do better than what I thought I was capable of.”

Cummings is a fantastic role model for our Nipomo FFA Chapter, she puts all of her effort to make our chapter to be the best. Not only is Cummings trying to make the students excel in FFA competitions, but she also wants students to be ready for the real world.