Finding Productivity and Fun In Summer

Back to Article
Back to Article

Finding Productivity and Fun In Summer

Fabiola Vazquez, Writer

Looking for something fun to do in summer? Want to take advantage of your time? Would you like to avoid boredom or laziness and become fit? Want to get college classes already out of your way?

There are lots of options for you! Here are some ideas:

1. Recreation Classes: Are you looking for a fun class? Hanna Fisher is a professional make-up artist that will be teaching teens the basics of successful makeup techniques. They will learn about preparing skin for a flawless makeup application, color matching, blending, and layering techniques. The cost is $60 per person and it includes all make-up and supplies that you can take home.

Day/Time: Thursdays, 4:30 – 6:00 p.m.

Session 1: June 13 & 20, 2019

Session 2: July 11 & July 18, 2019

Age: 12 – 17 years

Fee: $60 per person (includes all make-up and supplies)

Location: Mark M. Millis Community Center 1221 Ash Street, Arroyo Grande

Hannah is also creating a workshop for creating makeup looks for proms, formals or any special event.

Date: Thursday, May 2, 2019 Time: 4:30 – 6:00 p.m.

Age: 14 – Adult Fee: $50 per person (includes all make-up and supplies)

1. Community Service: Finishing your community service hours might be a smart option if you haven’t completed them. Arroyo Grande In Bloom is a non-profit volunteer organization dedicated to the beautification of Arroyo Grande. Such group plants flowers and trees, remove litter and maintains natural resources.  Arroyo Grande in Bloom is always looking for new volunteers to help. They can be reached at [email protected] or (805) 473-2250, or P.O. Box 1526, Arroyo Grande, CA 93421. For more volunteer opportunities visit www.arroyogrande.org or call (805) 473-5473

2. College Classes: You can always take summer college classes, in order to gain high school and college credit. College Now! Program from Allan Hancock College provides a special opportunity for local high school and home school students to take classes while attending high school. For applying you must meet the following requirements:

1. Apply for Admission to Allan Hancock College

2. Be at least junior or senior high school status.

3. Reside and be enrolled in Santa Barbara or San Luis Obispo County high schools or home schools.

4. Students who have previously attended AHC must have a 2.0 cumulative GPA at AHC to continue in the program.

5. Meet with their high school counselor to discuss eligibility, academic requirements, and the rigor of college coursework.

6. Complete the College Now! Petition for Enrollment form; and obtain necessary signatures (high school principal/designee and parent/guardian).

7. Enroll in a maximum of six (6) units per semester.

8. Submit a completed AHC College Now! Petition for Enrollment form and unofficial high school transcripts prior to enrollment to the
      Santa Maria AHC Admissions & Records office or at the Santa Ynez Valley, VAFB, or Lompoc Valley Center offices.
      You may submit paperwork in person during normal hours of operation, or
      by fax to 805 922 3477.

The registration dates for summer 2019 are May 20-June 14, 2019.

1. Sports: If you are more like a sport-type of person and you would like to stay fit or just have fun playing, you should know that Lucia Mar Unified School District will be holding a Summer Swim Program that starts on June 10. Summer lessons and summer recreation swim will be held at Arroyo Grande High School and Nipomo High School. AGHS will also be opening their summer swim team. All registrations must be in person and at the pools on registration dates. More information about time, costs and dates are attached below.

1. Read a book: Lots of good books are waiting for you! This summer, County of SLO Public Libraries will be offering several activities, which include their annual summer reading program, from June 1-July 31; art, music, and literature production at the Nipomo, Morro Bay, and San Luis Obispo libraries. Teen Journal Making is a nice workshop recommended for ages 10-17. It will take place at Nipomo Library on Thursday, June 20. Other workshops that will take place at our local library are natural dyeing, watercolor class, teen woodblock printing, roaming reptiles, among others. Do not miss the summer reading kick-off party for all ages on June 12, from 11:00 am to 1:00 pm.

For more information about summer activities, visit: https://www.arroyogrande.org/DocumentCenter/View/352/Summer-2019-Activity-Guide?bidId=