Entering the College and Career World

Back to Article
Back to Article

Entering the College and Career World

Vianie Merino, Writer

The college and career world are places of dedication and hard work. High school students, therefore, should find a great deal of importance in deciding and applying to the college or career that best fits their interests.

The process of applying to and attending college begins at the start of high school. As Nipomo High School’s career technician; Mrs. Oksner, and guidance counselor; Mrs. Masiko-Meyer sees it, talking with your counselors, challenging yourself, and “figuring out what you enjoy” are some of the crucial parts of beginning this journey.

Along the way, “students may find it helpful to get involved in sports, clubs, and community services” Mrs. Masiko-Meyer states. While academics are important, students should expand their involvement and communicate with students of similar interests.

Junior and Senior year, the last years before college, shift in responsibilities. As the school year progresses to graduation, students should pay special attention to “what classes you are taking, what classes you have to complete, and the units you have and need” Mrs. Oksner says.

The last step, according to Mrs. Masiko-Meyer is “finding the things that make you, you.”

The application process can be intimidating. Mrs. Masiko-Meyer and Mrs. Oksner have both found that the major in which you desire, location, expenses, and your level of comfort are all factors to consider when deciding where to apply. However it’s equally crucial to “always be open and flexible” Mrs. Oksner adds.

Essentially, “it’s important to remember that sometimes life can throw you a change that you didn’t expect” but, as Mrs. Oksner finds, “Eventually it will all be okay.”

Upon first going to college, students will most likely hold expectations for college upperclassmen or graduates. However, the college experience is drastically different for everyone. Therefore, students should recognize that college is a chance to “be individually driven,” “grow into your own skin,” and “taste educational freedom,” Mrs. Masiko-Meyer and Mrs. Oksner mention.

Andres Merino, a sophomore at Biola University, found that his favorite aspects of college are the chance for “freedom,” “meeting new people,” and “expanding your interests into a broad major.” Still, “time management, being homesick, and balancing school and social life” are difficulties that Merino finds important for students to regulate. “Take college as seriously as possible, but still find some time to have some fun” Merino adds.

These difficulties are factors that also happen to transfer into the career world. In the same sense, individuals should choose a career that best suits their abilities and interests. “If you love what you do, you will never have to work a day in your life” Mrs. Oksner brings up.

To help in this process, Merino seeks help from “people in the same major, professors, academic and career counselors, alumni, and mentors.” These influencers can assist in tools such as research, interest inventories, and interviews.

Overall, the college and career pathways are intimidating but are just one step towards understanding success. As Mrs. Masiko-Meyer, Mrs. Oksner, and Andres Merino each expressed, personal happiness is the only true tell of success. Therefore, everyone should find success in being happy with who they are and what they are doing.