Stressin’ About Stress

Back to Article
Back to Article

Stressin’ About Stress

Layla Loew, Writer

Everyone has been a victim of stress, whether it be school, work, or home-life, no one has successfully avoided the anxiety that comes with being human. Although some stress is good, continuous stress can be extremely unhealthy.

College students often fall prey to the effects of stress due to the immensely different change in lifestyle. According to NYU.edu, “College students now report being more stressed-out than ever before.”

The increasing amount of stress levels are not a coincidence, seeing how the transition from highschool homework to college homework is a significant change. An excessive amount of stress has been proven to negatively impact the motivation to receive good grades. “Stress is the number one reported impediment to academic performance,” as stated in the NYU stress survey.

The American Institute of Stress (AIS) conducted a survey at the National College Health Assessment and found that “more than 20 percent of students reported experiencing six or more stressful life events in the last year.”

The unfortunately inevitable part of life does not just affect a college students’ ability to complete homework, it can also severely damage one’s mental health. Because of the added worries of being away from friends and family, college students are especially prone to anxiety-induced depression. In the same survey done by the AIS, surveyors found that, “One-fifth of all students surveyed had thought about suicide” and “nearly 20 percent reporting self-injury.”

The effects of stress are not unknown to highschool and college students alike, but the stressors of higher education are a particularly heavy burden.

Nonetheless, the statistics of stress should not be discouraging. There are several ways to cope with college-related stress.

Purdue University, in their article “The College Student’s Guide to Stress Management,” offers a few simple tricks to combat the symptoms of chronic stress.

In order to balance workload and freetime, Purdue suggests to “do something that gives you an outlet from the tension of everyday life.” Finding a new hobby allows the mind to take a break from the pressures of deadlines and midterms.

Purdue also recommends college students to build a strong support system of family and friends who will “encourage you, listen without judgement, and provide sound perspective.”

On top of it all, it’s important to maintain a positive outlook on even the most difficult situations. Merely vocalizing positive affirmations can make a big difference in the way that stress affects a person.

College can sure be strenuous, but managing stress can be made easy by acknowledging the symptoms and following a few simple self-care tips.