Kids Are Spending Too Much On College and Here’s Why

Back to Article
Back to Article

Anthony Garcia and Connor Bigby

There are always kids in need of education and many kids struggle to go on past high school without spending all of the money they have. College has always been the thing kids look at as the end of their education but don’t realize until it’s too late that they might not be able to go. Kids need to be able to have the opportunity to go to college even if they aren’t financially stable and without being scared it will ruin their future.

According to New York Times “more than $1 trillion in student loans outstanding in this country.” All of this money is being spent by kids that sometimes don’t know what they want to spend their lives doing.  Wasting years of their life as well as thousands of dollars.

Schools pressure students to go to  college, making it seem like the only way to get a good career. Schools don’t spread the importance of trade schools, apprenticeships, or community college. These are viable options to start your career without digging such a deep hole in your pocket after the fact.

But the real reason why college is becoming more expensive is more obvious than you would think. More people than ever are enrolling in college. Increasing the demand, directly affects the cost of college tuition.While the number of people enrolled in college in the past remained stagnant, Census.gov says, “the overall number [enrolled] climbed by around 2 million from 2007 to 2011 before receding to 18.4 million in 2017.”

The New York Times says “as the baby boomers reached college age, state appropriations to higher education skyrocketed, increasing more than fourfold in today’s dollars, from $11.1 billion in 1960 to $48.2 billion in 1975”. State appropriations is funding from the government given to a state for specific uses. In other words, schools aren’t lacking  the funding they are just using it in other areas.

The schools are still paying their professors around the same as they always have, so the question remains. Where is the money going? Well, the colleges are hiring a tremendous amount of administrators. The New York Times reports that “according to the Department of Education data, administrative positions at colleges and universities grew by 60 percent between 1993 and 2009.”

College is only going to become more expensive. Its influence on students is only going to expand as college becomes the norm in society. We can only hope it becomes more accessible to students that have a real passion to excel and lead a successful career, whether it be lowering the prices in total or more options for financial aid.