The Politician

Vianie Merino, Writer

The American screenwriter, director, and producer Ryan Murphy is known for creating and co-creating a number of very successful television series. To, then collaborate with Brad Falchuk and Ian Brennan, it is no surprise that fans were expecting nothing less than excellence from the new television series, The Politician, released early this year. Luckily, excellence is exactly what they got.

The first season of this comedy-drama, each episode being about an hour long, centers around Payton Hobart (Ben Platt) and his run against popular and desirable River Barkley (David Corenswet) for the spot of Saint Sebestian’s Student Body President. Dealing with various political obstacles, as well as the complexity of high school, Payton Hobart and his campaign advisors help create the fast-paced plot of themes fit for all ages.

Released on September 27, 2019, The Politician gained an overwhelming audience attraction to almost all aspects of its production. Although the series only received a Rotten Tomatoes approval rating of 6.74/10, various critics have intervened to indicate generally favorable reviews.

The plot of the show has been described as both complex and refreshing, most likely due to the directors attention to very relevant topics of today’s society. Integrating various sub plots, each seemingly with its own targeted audience, The Politician captures several complex topics in only its eight episodes. The sexuality of each character, for instance, is addressed with confidence in order to provide audience members with an authentic look into teenage reality.

Proving to be an entertaining and equally informative series, The Politician allows its cast to use satirical-comedy and perfectly integrated musical efforts from its protagonist (Ben Platt) in order to present an easily-liked show. And, while the show also deals with several issues of the government (one of which was addressed by the apparent “popularity contest” for student body president), all of its themes are expressed subtly enough for the audience’s own interpretation.

Overall, this series is inviting for all and captures its audience with a carefully constructed plot supported by an overwhelmingly talented cast. for Student Body President), all of its themes are expressed subtly enough for the audience’s own interpretation.