Letter of Recommendation: Self Care

Carly Krauk, Writer

Self-care is something that I had lagged on for so many years. A few years ago I went through a really intensive depressive episode. I was a freshman in high school and was never motivated to do anything to help better myself. At the moment, you don’t realize what you’re doing to yourself. Due to struggling with a mental illness, it would be easy for me to not wash my face after wearing a full face of makeup the entire day, I wasn’t brushing my teeth or showering as often, I wasn’t eating right; I had absolutely no intention to do any of that stuff. I just did not care. Now, three years later, I struggle with bad acne scars because of the lack of motivation I had during that time.

Whether it’s mental, physical, sometimes even emotional, it all leads up to taking care of yourself. Self-care is something that I take really close to the heart because of the things I have unfortunately been through. Self-care is not just having a clean face, showering daily, and wearing clean clothes every day; those are big aspects of it, but not all. Not taking care of yourself can even cause emotional pain. I have seen so many of my friends, or people I am close with not taking care of themselves, and them later being upset, or in my case, struggling with a mental illness and then later realizing it.

According to perimeter health care, ‘Self-care encourages you to maintain a healthy relationship with yourself so that you can transmit good feelings to others. You cannot give to others what you don’t have yourself. While some may misconstrue self-care as selfish, it’s far from that. When you pay adequate attention to your well-being, you’re not considering your needs alone. You’re reinvigorating yourself so that you can be the best version of yourself for the people around you. Everyone around you also benefits from the renewed energy and joy you exhibit.’ It is blatantly obvious how taking good care of yourself results in so many benefits. Self-care is something that should be taken more seriously and is somewhat overlooked in today’s world.