Virus’ Leverage Over Government

Anthony Garcia, Writer

Over the course of a summer, kids often lose some of the information that they learned over the time of the academic school year. Many things like sports or just lack of practice over the break can cause the information learned in school to slip more quickly. Speaking from experience, it’s tough to try and catch up on the information if you’re expected to know it. Now with online schooling, it makes it even more difficult for students to reach out to teachers for advice. We’re expected to know the material or find a way to learn it on our own.

The Editorial Board at The New York Times shows research from Michigan State University that is tracking state Covid-19 school closings; it shows that states were “utterly unprepared” to deal with a crisis that made face-to-face learning impossible. On such short notice, we can’t expect schools and teachers to construct courses online that are effective for students. Schools are assigning homework, although for many classes this means changing their entire unit to fit with the online criteria. This is demanding students to finish work that they’re not familiar with on top of the work assigned from other classes. These would be the classes already accustomed to online learning in which students will often be assigned work more often. With the virus creating such a massive impact this will certainly affect the school system similarly. Although students are still being given the same amount of work, not nearly enough is created to resonate with us and enable learning.

Despite the lack of efficiency in the school system, a pandemic like this cannot pass without moments of learning. We’ve learned that our health care system has weak links. Not only this but our government itself has weak links as well. Nations like the U.S. and some in Europe are losing funds paying furloughed workers as well as unemployment benefits. Some countries in Africa and South America do not have the luxury of having a safety net or savings. The United Nations has warned income losses in developing countries to be exceeding 200 billion dollars. This is a crude wakeup call to many places around the world as the sickness spreads.

The school system is an essential piece the government needs to reform as it takes steps to progress through this quarantine. Many students are missing out on their final moments of being a student. The least they could do is provide the information that we’re familiar with and material that inspires us to learn.