Is Distance Learning Harder or Easier?

Photo of a student looking at their google classroom to figure out what assignments they have to do.

Nick Gonzalez, staff writer

COVID-19 has changed and affected the world in so many different ways. One thing that was affected was students and schools, having to switch from in-person learning to distance learning.

When transferring to online learning, students sometimes feel like they have to do everything on their own and learn things on their own too. It is a lot of independent work, so if a student is confused about something, he just has to try and figure it out or ask a friend.

The real question is, Is distance learning harder or easier for students?

There was a pole on social media about it, and there were a number of people that voted for harder, and a number of people that voted for easier. Overall, more students voted that online school was harder. The percentage of people that voted it was harder was 56%, and the percentage that voted it was easier was 44%.

“It is harder because there are so many distractions at home, and it’s so easy to go do other stuff rather than doing your homework,” said sophomore student Marcus Serna.

That is a struggle for most people because it is hard to focus when you want to be doing something else.

This seems especially true for younger kids in elementary school: it is really hard for them to stare at a computer screen without getting distracted.

It’s easier for high school students because they are more mature and older, but it is still hard for them too because they don’t want to stare at a computer screen for a long time either. They would much rather be in class with their friends.

On the other hand, some students may think that it is easier because they get to do school from home. “I think that it is easier because the classes are shorter, they are only 30 minutes, and I get to sleep more,” senior Joey Garcia said.

Classes are much shorter and that can be a good thing and a bad thing. People can understand everything in 30 minutes and do their assignments after, or they are still confused and didn’t think the 30 minutes was explained well enough for them to be able to complete the assignments.

Although some might not get what the teacher explained in the 30 minutes of synchronous time; most teachers stay in the meetings after, so if you have questions they can try and help you.

At the end of the day, students would much rather go back to regular school.