Susan – profile box Mr. Blair

Mr.Blair with family

Susan Gutierrez, staff writer

Mr. Blair is a new face at Nipomo High School. He teaches one of the many CTE pathways here on our campus: Intro to Public Safety and Criminal Justice.

1. Has there been an experience in your life that changed you the most? If so, how? – In high school, there was this service trip I had to go to Bangladesh. It was a life-changing trip because everything I studied was because of that trip.

1. Did you expect the job you’re doing now? – When I was younger I wanted to be a lawyer or a vet. Though later in life I applied for a spot as a teacher, which I didn’t expect. However I love it here, it’s a great community.

1. Is there a reason why you strive to address mental health to your students? – There is, if you know that I care for you, then I know that I have done my job. Every person is valuable, and I want them to realize that too.

1. For future generations, is there any wisdom you’d want to pass on to? – That it’ll be okay, no matter how things are, things will be better. Your life is in your hands, though it’ll be hard, it’s still possible.

1. What’s one thing that people always misunderstand about you? – I think people misunderstand the way I talk. From how students interpret my tone, they think of me as a not so caring person. I just talk in a very sarcastic way, that once students get a feel, they’ll understand.

1. Who is your greatest inspiration? – When I think, I come back to my English teacher from high school. She believed in me, even though I was failing in her class. I admired her way of teaching, so I emulated what she did into my role as a teacher.

1. How would you like to be remembered? – I hope students will remember me as a teacher who cared about others.

1. What’s one thing that bothered you the most about the world today? – I thoroughly hate selfishness, I think that many people believe that selfishness is the key to success. Though at certain times it’s okay to be selfish just to have time to take care of yourself.