Profile Q&A with Ms Li

Selfie+of+Ms.+Li+

Selfie of Ms. Li

Ray Bardo, staff writer

1. What was your childhood like? What were your goals/dreams?

My childhood was happy for the most part. I lived in Sacramento with my mom, dad, and older brother, Patrick. My parents are immigrants from Hong Kong so they had to work really hard to provide for my brother and I. They worked a lot, especially my dad; so I didn’t see him much. But, he made my brother and I work for him at his diner from when we were little kids to college which helped us get to know him.

I have always wanted to be a teacher. My parents had always told me that I was going to college so that was always a dream of mine. Education was the main goal in my family so I don’t think I really had other dreams than that. Oh, I did want to live on a farm because I loved animals.

1. Where did you grow up?

Sacramento, CA

1. How did your parents influence you? Who was your biggest influence?

The older I get, the more I recognize how much my parents influenced me in both good and bad ways. They definitely influenced me to work hard, do well in school, and have a successful career. They also made sure that I grew up to be kind, honest, and thoughtful. My mom, especially, taught me to be independent and to never depend on anyone, especially a man. To say that I am who I am because of my parents is an understatement. I think everyone is molded by their parents in more ways than they could ever know.

My biggest influence was my brother. He was my hero growing up. I just thought he was so cool. I was devastated when he went away to college when I was eleven but it actually made us closer. He would always give me advice when I was in high school and college which I appreciated. He probably kept me from making some terrible decisions when I was younger.

1. Where did you go to high school? Did you struggle/succeed as a student?

I went to St. Francis High School in Sacramento. It was an all girls Catholic school even though I am not Catholic. My parents sent me there because they have a great academic program but my mom wanted me to go there because she did not want me to meet boys. It sounds crazy but it is true. My mom’s biggest fear was me getting pregnant as a teenager so she sent me to an all girls school.

I usually did well in school. History is a weakness of mine so I never thrived in those classes but I did well in my core classes. I also struggled in my art classes; I am not very creative or patient when it comes to art. However, I made sure my grades were good and strived for As. My parents were always disappointed if I brought anything home other than a solid A and I was grounded if I got Bs or below.

1. What are your strengths/weaknesses?

Strengths: I am kind, honest, and a hard worker. I am also independent and strong-willed. I am loyal and I don’t take things too seriously.

Weaknesses: I think too much and I can be stubborn.

1. Describe yourself in 3-5 words:

Loving, independent, positive

1. Why did you become a teacher?

I like helping people and I like math. Since a lot of people hate math, I wanted to make it easier for students and show them that it can be fun or at least not so bad.

1. Did your life work out like you wanted?

Yes and no. I am happy with my life and the way things have turned out so far. But it did not turn out how I thought it would which is just a part of life.

1. Favorite quote:

“They tried to bury us. They didn’t know we were seeds.” -Dinos Christianopoulos