Love Is War, Literally & Figuratively in Kaguya-sama: Love Is War

Frame from an episode with all of the main characters in Kaguya-sama

Josh Costa, Staff Writer

Falling in love, chasing those you love, being rejected, dating– it is all a mental battle for yourself. Kaguya-sama: Love is War started out as a manga with a specific premise: two high school geniuses, Shirogane and Kaguya, can’t admit they’re in love, so each tries to win a confession of affection from the other. This results in increasingly ridiculous mind games in which they end up outsmarting themselves.

The series is a romantic comedy where the comedy shines through compared to other rom-coms. The comedy doesn’t fall flat or come off as awkward, but it feels more natural. The series also doesn’t fall short on its romance aspect either. It is an amazing study of the mind as a high-schooler despite the characters being rich geniuses which may come off as unrelatable. However, the cast is so diverse, and it portrays the themes of depression, love, acceptance, and other relatable themes.

We, as high-schoolers, always tend to overthink things when it comes to love or we find it hard to love ourselves. This series portrays this so realistically and super well done compared to any series I’ve seen. Despite the main genre being a romance, Love is War does more than be a normal romance, it branches off into more serious and relatable topics that you wouldn’t think would be covered in a rom-com.

The story follows the students of the school council, Kaguya, Shirogane, Chika, and Ishigami. Kaguya and Shirogane are our two lead characters and or two main love interests, with Ishigami and Chika being some very important side characters with their own individual character arcs. More characters are later introduced and are also extremely important down the line with major character development.

Aka Akasaka is the writer of this series which started in 2015. It started off as a manga to then be adapted into an anime series later on in 2019. The series was regarded as the 9th best-selling manga in Japan with 4 million copies sold.

All in all, the series is a phenomenal take on the human mind as we tend to overlook small things making our mind an internal battlefield. Overthinking tends to always make us unable to fully enjoy things in life and it’s shown perfectly.