A New Island in Titan Sea

Back to Article
Back to Article

A New Island in Titan Sea

Kyler V.

Kyler V.

Kyler V.

Each weekday morning, students, parents and teachers cram cars down the crowded North Thompson at 7:38; as they pull down Titan Way, they are meet with a alternative commotion: excavators, front-end loaders, and lots of trucks surround a new creation.

Due to the pass of Measure I and LMUSD board approval, the construction of the new Agriculture department is under way. Now in its final stages, the new set of buildings are complete with science stations, new furniture and (mostly by student request) a set of bathrooms.

The long awaited Agriculture facilities has been the culmination of many exciting success stories from Nipomo High School Agriculture department. Department head Rosemary Cummings said, “This new facility is like finally having a proper home.” This is a massive step from the former Agriculture department.

Prior to remodel, New Tech High School’s office building used to be the old Agriculture shop and the Agriculture classrooms were once scattered around the campus. After several years of that, the decision was made to create the campus renowned “Ag Island” by moving a collection of portable classrooms from the backside of the campus to their current location and switching the Agriculture shop into the former drama storage building. Those three rooms combined with the new shop location, shade-house and greenhouse made the mighty little compound, which gave inspiration the current dominance of the chapter.

With great anticipation the new buildings hope to improve a large issue for Nipomo High School, the safety and reliability of the Agriculture facilities. For some time now, the shop has had very poor ventilation which caused safety concerns.

After a few hours of heavy welding, the fumes accumulate into thick haze in the makeshift shop. This has caused a new addition of outdoor welding booth.

The Supervised Agriculture Experience (SAE) project which every Agriculture student must complete for class credit teaches the basics of business and entrepreneurship. Every California FFA student has generated a total net profit of $37 million with their SAE projects, which proves the importance of new facilities for students to build their projects.

The new and modernized mechanics shop and classroom opens new doors for FFA members to be more successful in the future.

The ribbon cutting is coming soon, and the rebirth of Nipomo FFA will be something special. “Ag Island” will be expanded to a new set of classrooms.

From bigger projects to more exciting class curriculum, the new Ag Department is ready to make a lasting impression for years to come.