Nick Foles: From backup to Super Bowl MVP

Adam Orozco, Writer

On the night of February 4, 2018, Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Nick Foles stood on top of the podium at U.S Bank Stadium just lost for words watching as the confetti poured and celebrations began.

He had just pulled off a last second victory that seemed to follow a David vs Goliath type script against the highly favored New England Patriots.

After a miraculous Super Bowl performance (which included Foles throwing for 373 yards, 3 touchdowns on 48 attempts and also catching a crucial touchdown with less than a minute left in the second quarter), Foles had a big role in that win as he’d also won Super Bowl MVP. He helped the Eagles to its first ever Super Bowl win.

Following the season-ending injury to star quarterback Carson Wentz, the Eagles season seemed in doubt as they automatically fell out of the Super Bowl contention, but the team never doubted themselves and trusted backup quarterback Nick Foles.

It wasn’t a Cinderella ending from the beginning.

Foles grew up in Austin, Texas and attended Westlake High School where he excelled at basketball and football. He broke many school records where he played with other future NFL players. He got offered scholarships for both football and basketball.

He chose Michigan State University for football, but transferred to the University of Arizona as a sophomore where he was the backup quarterback until he got his chance in week four versus Oregon State and lead the team to a victory. Foles impressed coaches and became the unquestioned starter for the next three years.In 2010, as a redshirt junior, Foles led the Wildcats to a 7-1 record including a win over #9 ranked Iowa State.  As a senior in 2011, he threw for 4,334 yards and 28 touchdowns, but had a rough season due to a 4-8 record and the firing of head coach Mike Stoops mid season. Foles had a good three years at Arizona where he had 933 completions, 10,011 yards, and threw for 67 touchdowns.

Foles was selected 88th overall by the Philadelphia Eagles in the 2012 NFL draft.

He mainly served as the backup for Michael Vick until week nine of the 2012 season, Foles got his first playing action against the Cowboys. He threw a 44 yard touchdown and threw for 219 yards as they came up short late in the fourth quarter.

Due to Vick’s concussions, Foles got a few starts late in the season but it was cut short due to a broken hand during week 16, and he was placed on season-ending injured reserve.

During the 2013 training camp, Foles competed for the Eagles starting job, but he eventually fell short. Throughout the season, he had many opportunities due to injuries and took advantage as he started 10 games and put up unreal numbers including 27 touchdowns and only two interceptions finishing with a 8-2 record.

Foles broke many records including the best touchdown-interception ratio and most touchdowns in a game against the Oakland Raiders. Later that season, he was voted into the pro bowl and won Offensive MVP.

In the 2014 season, Foles posted a 6-2 record as he was starting to get the hang of being a starting NFL quarterback as he made several comebacks late in games. Unfortunately, he broke his collarbone during week eight and was put on injured reserve, ending his 2014 season.

Foles was later traded to the St. Louis Rams.

In St. Louis, Foles struggled as the starter and leader of a young Rams team. On November 16, Foles was benched after a horrible game throwing a career high four interceptions. Foles got a couple chances later in the season, but his struggles continued which led to his request to be released from the team.Foles signed with the Kansas City Chiefs in early August before the start of the 2016 season. He mainly served as a backup, but appeared in three games that season and ended the year with just over 400 yards and three touchdowns. The Chiefs declines his second-year option and made him a free agent.

After much consideration of retirement at the end of the season, Foles signed with Eagles on a two year contract. Foles got his chance to shine when star quarterback C. Wentz went down late in week 14. He finished the last three games of the season with a 2-1 record going into the postseason.

Foles dominated and proved doubters wrong in the playoffs, throwing for 971 yards and six touchdowns. Even though they were the underdogs, the Eagles finished the season with a Super Bowl.

He will always be remembered by the resiliency shown when teams needed him most.

Even though the Eagles will ride with Wentz for the future, the future is bright for the long time NFL journeymen, as many people believe Foles will be traded in the offseason as his value skyrocketed.