Has the modern education system abandoned its students?

Kyler Vernon, Writer ; Photographer

High School. The magical place students deposit four years of their life in exchange for an diploma and a ticket to the real world. A place filled with opportunity, yet stifled by narrow-minded politicians and institutions who only seek to improve test scores and GPAs.

High Schools have turned into mines for college ready’ students who are extraordinarily talented in academia. The true and yet unsustainable mission of education system is to try and take as many students directly from high school to the Ivy leagues.

Yet we are casually neglecting the other students who do not seek to be the world’s next doctors, lawyers or scientists. The students who were dismissed by college administration offices and the education system now have limited options in society because of lack support they receive from schools. The unnecessary value placed on being accepted to prestigious colleges fails other performing students who will go directly into the workforce.
Claudio Sanchez a writer from the National Public Radio makes the case: “We now live in an economy in which a huge number of technical certificates that take a year to complete, pay more than a [four-year] college degree.”

Some in the education community will deny this reality, but when offered a solution, their intentions become clear.

“Calls for more vocational schools have received a lukewarm reception from the higher education community,” says writer Erica Green from The New York Times.

High schools that do not possess an agriculture department usually offer no other post secondary option for students; and that option should and must be vocational training. As technology continues to eliminate human tasks in this world, they will never be able to fully replace the need for skilled trades. Most non-college bound students are abandoned by the education community while the skills and labor market is being suffocated by lack of workforce.

It’s time to reinvest in career and technical pathways to post secondary vocational schools. It will give purpose and opportunity to those who do not seek college; it will revive the labor market; and most importantly, it will give our future citizens a way to climb through socioeconomic classes just like many other citizens before them.